Salacia reticulata improves serum lipid profiles and glycemic control in prediabetic subjects
Shivaprasad HN, Bhanumathy M, Sushma G, et al.,
Salacia reticulata improves serum lipid profiles and glycemic control in patients with prediabetes and mild to moderate hyperlipidemia: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial.
J. Med. Food. 2013;16(6):564-568
To evaluate the efficacy and safety of Salacia reticulata leaves and root bark extracts in prediabetic human subjects.
- The study was a double-blind placebo-controlled trial in type-2 diabetic subjects. 29 subjects with prediabetes and mild to moderate hyperglycemia were selected for the study
- The subjects randomly divided into placebo (n=9), leaf extract group (n=11, 500 mg/day) and the bark extract group (n=9, 500 mg/day) and studied for 6 weeks. Efficacy was evaluated in terms of change in lipid profile and glycemic levels
- The safety and tolerability were evaluated by a physical examination and clinical laboratory evaluations
- There was a reduction in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and fasting blood sugar (FBS) levels at weeks 3 and 6 in the root bark extract-supplementation group
- Whereas, the leaves extract-treated group showed a reduction in fasting blood glucose levels at the 6th week only
The authors concluded that administration with S. reticulata was safe and well-tolerated and may be beneficial in the management of prediabetes and mild to moderate hyperlipidemia.
Salacia reticulata improves the blood glucose level Type II Diabetic subjects
Radha R, Amrithaveni M.
Role of medicinal plant Salacia Reticulata in the management of Type II Diabetic Subjects.
Anc Sci Life. 2009;29(1):14‐16
To evaluate the glucose and lipid lowering efficacy of Salacia reticulata bark powder in diabetic subjects.
- 40 diabetic subjects were selected for the study and randomly divided into supplementation and control group (n=20 in each group)
- The supplementation group was given with 2 gram of the bark powder in the form of capsules (2 capsules per day) for 60 days
- Blood glucose levels before and after medications were estimated in both groups at baseline and at 90 days
- It was observed that the administration with the Salacia reticulata bark powder resulted in significant reduction in fasting blood glucose, HbA1c and lipid levels at the end of the study period
The authors concluded that administration with S. reticulata was safe and well-tolerated and may be beneficial in the management of blood glucose in diabetic subjects.
Salacia reticulata improves glycemic condition type 2 diabetic subjects
Jayawardena MH, De Alwis NM, Hettigoda V, Fernando DJ.
A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled cross over study of a herbal preparation containing Salacia reticulata in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;97(2):215‐218
To investigate the effects of a herbal tea containing Salacia reticulata (Kothala Himbutu tea) in patients with type II diabetes mellitus.
- In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross over study, 51 type-2 diabetic subjects were selected
- The Salacia group (n=28) was given with standard tea preparation for a period of three months and after the end of the study period the groups were crossed over and again the study conducted for 3 months
- There was a significant reduction in HbA1C levels after the cross over study and the mean dose of glibenclamide
The authors concluded that Salacia reticulata tea is an effective and safe for type 2 diabetes.